We know many have questions about Medicare and hope that this page will be helpful and help guide you through the process.

What does Medicare cover?

Medicare is a federally funded health insurance program for:

  • People 65 and older
  • Certain disabled people under 65

Generally, Medicare provides benefits for people who have, or are recovering from, an illness or injury. Medicare skilled-nursing community benefits are provided only for those purposes. Medicare is not a long-term care program.

How Medicare works:

Medicare is divided into two parts:

Part A: Part A pays for covered services received from hospitals and other institutional providers, such as skilled-nursing communities. Most people are entitled to Part A coverage (you have to have worked and paid Social Security taxes for at least 24 quarters). People who are entitled to Part A are automatically enrolled in it when they sign up for Social Security. Click here to read more about Part A Benefits.

Part B: Part Be is an optional program. It primarily covers services from doctors and other professional healthcare providers. If you choose this coverage, you must pay a monthly premium. There is also a deductible for all Part B services, including doctor’s services. Medicare pays 80% of the allowed amount for covered services, you pay the other 20%. Click here to read more about Part B Benefits.